First Night Box
Picture yourself in your new home surrounded by 80 boxes after a 14 hour long day of moving. Some boxes are labeled in thick black marker with words like “KITCHEN”, “DVDs”, or “POTS”. And you are sitting in the middle of it all with nothing but your cell phone and wallet. In a case like this, you would likely be looking through all of your boxes for your toothbrush, pajamas and anything else you need at the end of the day. For this reason, you should pack yourself a ‘First Night Box’!
Think of it like your carry-on bag when you're at the airport, but for moving. These are your essentials that you need with you.
First night box instructions:
- Grab a sturdy box.
- As you are packing your house, place a pair of pajamas, a bottle of water and some snacks inside.
- Right before you move out, pack your final necessities that couldn’t be packed sooner into your First Night Box. This would include your toothbrush, toothpaste, toilet paper, face wash, any other necessary toiletries that you need, hairbrush, laptop/ tablet and their chargers, phone charger, and even a pillow and blanket if you do not think you will be able to fully set up your bedding on your moving day.
- This box may also be a good place to put a folder with your most important documents that you can’t risk misplacing like your passport and birth certificate.
- Tape the box closed with bright tape to make it stand out and write “First Night Box” on it
- Take this box with you like a carry-on bag. If you drive to your new home in your own car, put this box in the car with you so that you can keep track of it, and put it in an easy to remember place in your new home. Don’t put your box into the moving truck!
First Night Box for kids:
First Night Boxes are especially great for kids! Put all of the before mentioned items into the box along with any comfort items they may have like their favourite stuffed animals, toys, and a nightlight if they have one! This may help them feel more comfortable in their surroundings on their first night in the new home.